People all over the world are fascinated with the conundrum that surrounds the Jagannath temple of Puri. No doubt, it is a famous tourist spot that witnesses thousands of tourists every year. Everyone has their own view and thoughts on this temple. Puri is one of those places that should definitely be on your travel list. Not only the temple, but there are many more places to see like the sea beaches, market, sun temple, etc. Many histories revolve around the city. A trip with family or friends in Puri will make you experience something that you have never felt before. You can book an affordable Jagannath temple darshan package and visit there.
Stories Behind The Temple:
- The Famous Chariot Festival: The popular Chariot festival or Rath Yatra is the main festival of Puri. Previously, there were two sets. Each of them that three buggies. Popular legend says that the first set took Jagannath, Subhadra, and Balaram to the shore of a river. This river connects the Shrimandira temple and the Gundicha temple. The second set took them till the Gundicha temple and the third to their maternal aunt’s place. Even now, the guard stops in front of the Gundicha temple automatically. There are no explanations behind this.
- Replacement of Idols: Another popular fact is that the idols are made up of neem wood which degenerates on their own. They replace these idols every fourteen years. The new idols are not disclosed until the former completely degenerates.
- Flying above the temple: Another story says that nothing can fly above the temple. You would not see a single airplane or birds flying over the mandir. There is still no explanation behind this fact and it remains a mystery to date. On your next visit to the Jagannath Temple in Puri, pay close attention to this fact.
- Flag in The Opposite Direction: It does not matter in which direction the wind is blowing, the flag at the top of the temple flows in the opposite direction. There is still no reasoning behind this fact and scientists are also unable to prove the reason behind this. Also, a priest is responsible for changing the flag every day. He has to climb 45 floors in order to change it. Legend says if they do not change the flag every day then the temple will shut down for 28 years.
- The Prasad: There is a mystery behind the cooking of bhog as well. They stack seven pots together and hang it over the fire. Surprisingly, the pot on top cooks first and the same order follows.
These are some perplexing mysteries behind the Jagannath temple of Puri. Check out the website of My Tirth India to get amazing prices of Jagannath temple Darshan Tour. Get in touch with them for more details.