Panchopachar is a 5 step Puja that is performed to attain a harmonious and peaceful life. Panch means 5 and Upachar means offerings given with devotion. There are 5 elements by which all matter is created called the panchamahabhutas. They are Earth (Pritvi), Air (Wayu), Fire (Agni), Sky (Akash) and water (Jal) which are described below.
- Sugandh is the Earth Element. In our astral body, the Earth element is represented by Mooladhara Chakra. Offering the Sandal is the representation of Earth element.
- Dhoopam which is the Air element is represented by Anahat Chakra situated behind the heart in our astral body
- Deepam is the Fire element. Fire element is represented by Manipurak Chakra situated behind the navel in our astral body.
- Pushpam which is the Sky element. In our astral body, Sky/Akash element is represented by Vishuddha Chakra. Offering Pushpam is a symbol of Akash or Sky element.
- Naivedya, the Water element is represented by Swadhishthan Chakra in our body. We offer the Naivdeya as Rasa to the deity, as a symbol of nectar.